- “Today we stare death in the eyes.
They took the others.[...]”
- —Survival Log
They are humans mutated by the Forced Evolutionary Virus (FEV), characterized by much greater physical ability, and often by much impaired cognitive ability.
Though previously fairly common throughout the Mojave wasteland, the events of The Fall have resulted in a precipitous decline in the region's Mutant population. Those few that do remain are categorically hostile and should be avoided whenever possible. After RB-Expedition occupation of Black Mountain, they started conducting tests on Super Mutants with ERT
Mutants have not lost any of their natural resilience and will destroy any human opponent in a straight fight. Thankfully, the mutants that remain suffer a dearth of ranged weaponry and will most often attack only with a melee weapon or their bare hands, both of which are plenty deadly.
Known Mutant Populations
- Jacobstown is populated entirely by Super Mutants and nightkin, making it a dangerous destination for an underprepared traveler.
- A camp of mutants can be found in the northeast Mojave wasteland, north of the devils throat and east of the survivor camp located there.
- Mutants and centaurs, as well as lethal doses of radiation can be found inside the devils throat.
- Super Mutant survivors can occasionally be found near Black Mountain
- A small contingent of Nightkin occupy the basement of the RepConn test facility
- The Nightkin found in the RepConn basement are unchanged from the vanilla game and will still give their relevant quest.