- “Committing horrific acts will hurt your sanity. Insane individuals suffer Intelligence and Charisma debuffs, but most likely have access to more loot, due to their complete disregard for human life.”
- —Fallout: DUST loading screen
Mainly governed by the Survivor's actions in the wastes, but also influenced by several substances, the level of Sanity can have a substantial influence on how the environment is perceived at times, and provide for advantages as well as disadvantages in the continuous struggle for staying alive in the wastes of DUST.
Survivors are advised, that once they turned Insane, they will not be able to completely rid themselves of the effects of insanity.
Note: A Survivor's initial Sanity level is: "Good/Sane", with 500 points in Sanity.
- Sanity level: Name of level of Sanity as displayed in the Pip-Boy
- Sanity point range: Sanity is internally measured in points. As with Karma points in Fallout: New Vegas, this number can only be obtained by the use of console commands.
- Effect(s): Effects, if any.
|Sanity level||Sanity point range||Effect(s)|
|Very Good/Sane||>= +750||- If picked during being insane, the perks King Arthur, Communistic Wisdom and The Scurrier are no longer in effect (see Affected Perks)
- The Insanity and Wild Wasteland Perk, including debuffs, stay in effect, if the Survior was insane at least once before (see Insanity for details)
- Hallucinations and temporary audio and visual disturbances in certain areas, if the Survivor was insane at least once before (see Insanity for details)
|Good/Sane||+250 to +749|
|Neutral/Unsettled||-249 to +249|
|Evil/Insane||-749 to -250||- If picked, the perks King Arthur, Communistic Wisdom and The Scurrier are in effect (see Affected Perks)
- The Insanity and Wild Wasteland Perk, including debuffs, are forcibly granted to the Survivor (see Insanity for details)
- Hallucinations and temporary audio and visual disturbances in certain areas (see Insanity for details)
|Very Evil/Insane||<= -750|
Stealing generally has no effect on Sanity, despite the status image displayed signalling otherwise.
Killing other characters bears the risk of decreasing Sanity, especially, but not limited to killing non-hostile characters.
Temporary due to addiction for the duration of withdrawal
One time reduction per consumption
|Strange Meat Pie||-50|
|Ghost People Flesh||-20|
A character suffering from insanity gains access to several unique perks. These perks will only be in effect as long as the character is insane.
|King Arthur||You recieve a 25% increase in melee damage dealt.|
|Communistic Wisdom||Buy prices from NPCS are increased by 1000%, but you gain an additional 10% bonus to all experience gained.|
|The Scurrier||Your run speed is increased by 50%, but your limbs are 50% more vulnerable to being crippled.|
Connected to Sanity
Other perks don't require the player character to be insane, but are connected to their sanity level.
|Bloody Mess||Grants the player +5% damage on all attacks. Acquiring this perk will cost the player 200 points of sanity.|
|Cannibal||When in sneak mode, the player can eat humans to regain health but lose sanity. To qualify for this perk the player must have less than 250 points of sanity.|
|Coward||While wearing light armor, the player gains +10% running speed and opponents have a -25% chance of scoring a critical hit. The player also inflicts -25% damage all the time. To qualify for this perk the player must have more than 250 points of sanity.|
|Ghastly Scavenger||When in sneak mode, the player can eat super mutants & feral ghouls to regain health but lose sanity. To qualify for this perk the player must have previously acquired the Cannibal perk.|
|Just Lucky I'm Alive||Grants the player +4 Luck for 3 minutes upon finishing a battle with less than 25% health. To qualify for this perk the player must have less than than 250 points of sanity but more than -250 points.|
|Sound Of Mind||Grants the player +10% damage, and for every 100 points of Sanity, they gain 10 Health points. Players also gain immunity to critical hits. To qualify for this perk the player must have more than 250 points of sanity.|
Behind the Scenes
- DUST reuses the Karma system of Fallout: New Vegas with slight modifications for its Sanity system.
- Consequently, Karma related console commands will continue working.